Welcome to Year 5!
Our classes and staff include:
Azure - Mrs. Peel, Mrs. Begum and Mrs. Perveen
Cobalt - Mrs. Pharaony and Miss. Kiran
Indigo - Mrs. Dawson and Ms. Northover
This half term we will be learning about:
English: Our text is called Shackleton's Journey. Our topic question is: Would you join the Endurance? We will write a motivational speech and a descriptive telegram.
Maths: Dividing and interpreting remainders; the area of compound shapes; volume; and the nets of 3d shapes.
Science: Materials. We will compare and group materials based on their properties; investigate thermal conductors and insulators; use our knowledge of solids, liquids and gases to separate mixtures; understand how some materials dissolve to form a solution and learn how to recover a substance from a solution; and investigate reversible and irreversible changes.
History: We will be comparing the equipment that Shackleton and his crew used on their expedition to the equipment used by Antarctic explorers today. We will also learn about what life was like in 1914, including studying WWI to understand some of the challenges the crew faced at the time. We will compare primary and secondary sources relating to Shackleton's journey.
Geography: We will study Antarctica.
Art: We will be making a clay trinket and creating an Antarctic landscape using oil pastels and watercolour.
PE: Badminton. Azure - Wednesday. Cobalt - Thursday. Indigo - Friday. Please ensure that your child has the correct PE kit in school every day: black leggings/shorts/tracksuit bottoms, a white t-shirt and black pumps.
RE: Christianity. Key question: How significant is it for Christians to believe God intended Jesus to die?
Please ensure that your child reads for at least 15 minutes, a minimum of 3 times a week. They must also use the question prompts and sentence stems in the front of their reading record to make comments about their books. A Reader of the Week will be awarded each week in assembly.
All children also have spellings to practise at home and will be tested every Friday. They are expected to return completed spellings homework.
Each child has a username and password for Times Tables Rockstars. If they forget their log in, they should ask their class teacher. Children will be rewarded green points each week for accessing TTRS at home and extra green points will be given to 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. There is an app you can download or you can access it here: https://ttrockstars.com/
Every child also has a log in for Mathletics where they can complete homework set by their teacher and have access to lots of maths games. Again, if they forget their username and password, they should ask their class teacher. There is an app you can download or you can access it here: https://www.mathletics.com/uk/
- Have a look at the supporting videos, questions and answer sheets on https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/ Tune in every weekday between 10.00 and 11.00am as the White Rose Maths team shares children’s questions, examples and stories via their social media channels.
- https://uk.ixl.com/ has lots of different online Maths questions to complete.
- Have fun scoring goals and answering quick fire maths questions at https://plprimarystars.com/for-families/play-game (different levels - challenge yourself!)
- Find great DAILY short videos, tasks and answers at http://www.iseemaths.com/lessons56/
- Access fun games, challenges, times tables checks and lots more at https://www.themathsfactor.com/
- https://uk.ixl.com/ has lots of different online grammar questions to complete.
- Score more goals by answering spelling questions at https://plprimarystars.com/for-families/play-game (different levels - challenge yourself!)
- Every day at 11am, you can listen to one of David Walliams' World's Worst Children stories. Or tune in at any time and listen to them on catch up: https://www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/elevenses/
- Have a go at this Power of Reading task, which focuses on an extract from the book Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell:
- Have a go at some exciting Science experiments at home! Here you can find videos with instructions and scientific explanations. Or just watch for fun! https://new.siemens.com/uk/en/company/education/students/diy-videos.html
- Find lots of clips and games for across the curriculum at https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/zbr9wmn
- Free downloadable packs that cover many areas of the curriculum including English, Maths and Science are available at https://www.tts-group.co.uk/home+learning+activities.html